Digital Fabrication

Connectors

posted May 12, 2010, 11:22 PM by Paul Wasson

Here are some simple connectors I printed for use with a 1/4 inch acrylic rod.



I've been having pretty good luck printing the past few days.  I went back to the acrylic platform as I could never get the extruded plastic to stick on the heated platform.

In the Closet

posted Apr 22, 2010, 9:32 AM by Paul Wasson

Last weekend, I cleaned out a closet enough to install a work bench to become the home of my MakerBot.


My wife is glad that it is off the kitchen counter.  One nice thing about running it in the closet is that I can use the hanger-rod to hold all my plastic.


As you can see, I have much more black that white, and I have more white than red, green, blue or yellow.

I'm very happy with the 'bot, but I still haven't been getting good prints.  The next step is to build the heated platform and try it out as I'm having problems with the raft curling off the platform.  I'm also going to re-insulate the extruder barrel, as I'm consistently reading an actual temperature that is less than the desired temperature.

It's alive

posted Apr 17, 2010, 8:50 PM by Paul Wasson   [ updated Apr 26, 2010, 1:38 PM ]

I'm happy to report that Makerbot 866 is alive!


I was able to get the plastruder put together fairly easily.  I used a PEEK insulator and pre-made heat core from MakerGear that reduced and amount of effort I needed to do.

I then hooked it up and tried the manual control.  I was able to move right and left (x-axis) and up and down (z-axis), but wasn't able to move back and forth (y-axis).  I also heated up the extruder barrel.  After waiting for it to reach 220 degrees Celsius, I turned on the extruder motor and after a few seconds, a thin plastic strip came out!  Overall I was very happy, I just needed to get the y-axis working.

Next I took off the x/y assembly, but left it wired up to the control panel.  I then tested the y-axis again, and now that it was out of the machine it worked.  I guessed that the bolt holding the y-pulley was rubbing against the rods for the x-axis since several other people had complained about it with their machines.  I cut the bolt using a dremel so that is would stay above the x-rod and reassembled the machine.  Now everything worked!

A made a cube, 1cm on a side, using OpenSCAD and used Skeinforge to convert the STL file to gcode for the machine, just using the default settings for everything.  It took several attempts to figure out the best way to position the head to start.  The machine first builds a raft consisting of a layer of horizontal lines followed by a layer of vertical lines, followed by the layers of the object being build.  The idea of the raft is to give a stable base to build the rest of the object.  I was having trouble of the raft not sticking to the build platform the then the head would push it around making what looked like a pile of spaghetti.  I found out by raising the temperature a little bit and putting the head very close to the platform, I was able to get a good enough raft to build the cube.



Here is the cube before I cleaned it up.  You can see the raft on the bottom and a hanging thread on the top.  (Click on any picture to enlarge.)


Here is the underside of the raft.  You can see on the right side that it didn't start sticking right away, but it was good enough to make the cube.

I measured the resulting cube, and it was very accurate to 1 cm.  I counted about 30 layers on the cube, so the vertical resolution is around .3 mm.

Next I downloaded some g-code to make a crank, but it didn't turn out very well as it looked very blobby.  I'm guessing that it was sliced up using different parameters than I used, so I might try downloading the original STL file and running Skeinforge on it myself.

Smoke Test

posted Apr 12, 2010, 9:10 PM by Paul Wasson

I didn't get a chance to work on the Cupcake much today.  However, I did plug it in and turned it on.   The power supply came on and the power lights lit up on the motherboard and the 3 stepper motor boards.  So everything looks good so far.

X, Y, and Z

posted Apr 11, 2010, 9:35 PM by Paul Wasson

I got the machine built today, except for the extruder.


So it can move in the X and Y directions and the tool-head can move up and down in the Z direction.  So far I have only moved things by hand as I haven't plugged in it yet.  I'm saving that for tomorrow, since I don't feel like debugging it tonight.


I also need some zip-ties to clean up the wiring a bit.

So tomorrow I'll turn it on for the first time to check the movement and then I'll start on building the extruder.

Building a Cupcake

posted Apr 10, 2010, 8:07 PM by Paul Wasson   [ updated Apr 10, 2010, 8:17 PM ]

Today I got the X-Stage done and connected the Y-Stage to it.


I then put together the cabinet.


The electronics were pre-assembled, so I just had to mount them.


I'm happy to report that the cabinet feels very solid.

I'm planning to do more tonight, but the web-site with the building instructions seems to be down at the moment, so I may have to wait a bit.

Unpacking

posted Apr 10, 2010, 7:55 PM by Paul Wasson

I finally got my Cupcake CNC kit from Makerbot on Friday.


I opened it up to find more boxes, plus some white and black plastic.


Here are all the parts:


You can see my serial number of 866 on the box of laser-cut parts.  Guess they will have sold 1000 pretty soon.

I also bought some extra plastic in different colors, a heated base platform, and a shielded cable.



I got as far as building the Y-Stage Friday night.


I'm a little concerned that the Y-Stage doesn't move real smooth on the rods.  Hope it still works.

Waiting for Cupcake...

posted Apr 7, 2010, 11:38 AM by Paul Wasson

This page will document my Makerbot Cupcake CNC 3D printer.
It appears from this blog entry that I should be receiving my printer very soon.



I hope to document its construction and use.
Wish me luck!


1-8 of 8